Robinson talks in an interview about our education system. And he has very important points to make.
- The concept of school is to train people for the industrial life.
- The education system leave a huge area of talent out.
- Education looks only for a specific type of people.
- The 21th century needs people who do have a different skill set that our current school system looks for
- Our education system does not help people to find out their true unique talent
- People need to find out what their passions is – this will lead to their talent.
- Talent needs specific conditions. This conditions will help the true talent to emerge.
- Teaching – many education system do not invest in teaching. High Performance education systems like Finland and Singapore invest very much in improving teaching.
- Hierarchy – we shall understand that there is no hierarchy in subjects. But most education systems have a hierarchy of subjects as a metaphor for their educations systems implemented in their schools.
- Separated subjects — our education system separate topics who in fact belong to each other.
- How are the subjects are linked together?
- You can teach creatively!
- Process of being creative! There is a book about how to be more creative: Out of our minds.
Sir Ken Robinson will have a new book out next year: The Elements. Check it out. It looks like it is worth to read.