John P. Kotter wrote 11 years ago a bestseller: Leading Change. In this book Kotter described an eight step process to create sustainable change.
- Establishing a Sense of Urgency
- Creating the Guiding Coalition
- Developing a Vision and Strategy
- Communicating The Change Vision
- Empowering Broad-Based Action
- Generating Short-Term Wins
- Consolidating Gains and Producing More Change
- Anchoring New Approaches in the Culture
I read this book a couple of years ago and was thinking, that this sounds great but it is far from reality. Today I know he was right. Most Scrum implementations fail because of not following these 8 steps.
My most successful implementations had been the ones in which we could deliver quick wins and in which the team felt a sense of urgency.